Melissa-
Melissa is another one that I'd have to thank for the experiences I had!! She was a host student as well with one of my host sisters best friends family. So we got to spend a lot of time together. It was so nice to have someone there with me that was feeling the same things and that knew exactly what I was talking about. She and I ended up spending a lot of time together that summer. And because of her friendship, I have been blessed greatly!! Because of her I moved to Utah where I met the Love of my Life and have started a family with. Not to mention all of the wonderful friends she has introduced me to or I've met as a result of being here.Kimono Wearing Days-
I don't have a traditional Japanese body type. And I was told this every time I was dressed in a Kimono or Ukata for different reasons. Well to fix this(they didn't want me being different I guess) they would layer my waist with towels until I had the straight figure instead of curves.My host dad's sister(My Aunt Sushi) got her nickname because every time I would see her, that's all she would talk about. She was the first to give me Nori(dried seaweed) which I of course being the rude American that I am told her I didn't like it. So after the lecture about how I should like it, she decided I needed to go and have Sushi. It was a fun atmosphere at the Sushi Bar, but then again I thought most places were fun. And since I had told her I didn't like the Nori, she ordered my Sushi without the Nori. It was a good experience only because I got through eating it without pucking, and that I could put my feelings aside for others, but it was horrible!! I can't stand cooked fish or seafood, let alone raw stuff!!
Dancing at a Festival-
My host mom had me learn some of the traditional Japanese dances with my host sister Karin's dance instructor, so that I could dance at this neighborhood festival. There are so many festivals in Japan and we went to so many of them, but this was the first one we got dressed up for and danced in it. It was a lot of FUN!!

My host mom had me learn some of the traditional Japanese dances with my host sister Karin's dance instructor, so that I could dance at this neighborhood festival. There are so many festivals in Japan and we went to so many of them, but this was the first one we got dressed up for and danced in it. It was a lot of FUN!!

Around Japan-
Kyoto-The Golden Temple
I had gone down to Kyoto by train to meet up with Keisan. He had been an exchange teacher in California when I lived there. It was fun to hang out with him for the day and to visit a different area of Japan. I went by myself on this forever long trip and I was so afraid of getting lost on my way back to Tokyo to meet my host sisters. This was my favorite temple from our little tour we went on.

Disneyland
Kikkomen sent us to Disneyland as part of our scholarship, but of course the day that we went it decided to rain. Well anyone who has been to amusement parks knows that most of the time rain and rides don't mix. So since everything was basically closed down, a few of us exchange students decided to have fun in the rain. So we danced in the rain. A TV station there caught us dancing and recorded us for awhile but we never did find out if it was on TV.
Kissed by a Killer Whale wasn't suppose to be a part of this Japan experience, but it was fun. My little host sister, Karin wanted to do it and talked me into it. So we did it!! That whale really just licked us but it was weird!!

At School-
I had the opportunity to go to school for about 2 weeks before summer break. I went to Chibakita High School where I took all kinds of art classes and a whole bunch of English classes to help the students with their studies. It was a lot of fun. I was asked to marry like 20 guys, I had to wear a uniform which because I'm taller then a lot of the Japanese people looked more like a cheerleader uniform then anything else. And I was asked to speak at the closing term ceremony(which is like our graduations). It was such a blast to experience this part of a teenagers life!!






My Host Family-
Wonderful! Wonderful!! Wonderful!!! That's the best way to describe them!! I had 6 kids in my host family so it was like being at home. My host dad worked in another part of Japan and would come home on the weekends. That's basically when we did most of our family activities. My host mom I spent the most time with. She was so sweet!! She knew less English then I knew of Japanese but with our dictionaries we were able to communicate. They were all so much fun!! I sure miss them!!
Layover in San Francisco-
I had the opportunity to go to school for about 2 weeks before summer break. I went to Chibakita High School where I took all kinds of art classes and a whole bunch of English classes to help the students with their studies. It was a lot of fun. I was asked to marry like 20 guys, I had to wear a uniform which because I'm taller then a lot of the Japanese people looked more like a cheerleader uniform then anything else. And I was asked to speak at the closing term ceremony(which is like our graduations). It was such a blast to experience this part of a teenagers life!!






My Host Family-
Wonderful! Wonderful!! Wonderful!!! That's the best way to describe them!! I had 6 kids in my host family so it was like being at home. My host dad worked in another part of Japan and would come home on the weekends. That's basically when we did most of our family activities. My host mom I spent the most time with. She was so sweet!! She knew less English then I knew of Japanese but with our dictionaries we were able to communicate. They were all so much fun!! I sure miss them!!
At the Narita Airport-Japan
Saying good-bye to my host family was a lot harder then when I said bye to my family for the summer. I knew I'd see them again soon but my host family I wasn't sure if I'd ever see again. After 10 years, I still haven't seen them again but we do keep in touch by email. They are truly my Japan Family!! I had a wonderful time with them and made some memories that I will always remember!!
Layover in San Francisco-
I met with my brother,Kevin and Sister-in-law,Michele. We had some lunch at the airport-Hamburgers!!
In Arizona-
I had to run to my connecting flight in Phoenix since we were a little later then we should have been. But I arrived in Flagstaff on time to finally be in the arms of my parents, and of course my little brother Keith!! I was going to put on my ukata in Phoenix but that didn't happen since I already was late getting there. The plane to Flagstaff was way to little to even attempt to do that!!
My host family got ukata's for my neice and nephew,Jenise and Jaran(they were the only 2 when I went). So we all got dressed up in them one day. Jenise and I wore ours to church but Jaran thought it was to much like a dress, so he ditched it!!
Last year when I had Jaylee they sent her a little Ukata as well. I did take a set of pictures of her in it one month. It's so adorable!!






























1 comment:
Matching p.j.'s and us dancing in the rain at Disney Land! Ahh the memories!
Post a Comment